"You're only 16??? One of the best Sports Blogs on blogger.com, no doubt about it. Great job, you have an extremely bright future."

YOU GOTTA CHECK THIS SITE OUT

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Top 15 Point Guards in the NBA Today

During the Boston-Cleveland game the other night, the announcers debated on the top 5 point guards in the league today. It is a great subject to discuss, no doubt. There are SO many guys worthy of this list. In fact, when taking notes for this list I wrote down the guys that I thought could be in the top 10. Before I knew it… well… I had written 22 names. I would do a top 25 list, but you know I love hearing everybody whine that their PG isn’t on the list or aren’t quite as high as they like. I am sure I will hear it from you guys, especially on numbers 1-2. Let’s do work.


1. Deron Williams, Utah Jazz
Nope, not CP3. He is the Utah Jazz. He is what brought them back. Utah is known for their one-guards. John Stockton is one of the best points to ever convert an assist but I assure you, Williams will reach his fame. Deron is one of my favorite players today – behind Shaq. You cannot go wrong with picking Paul or Williams at this spot, but I am a firm believer that DW is just as good as Chris Paul is.
2009 Stats: 19 PPG, 11 APG, 40 wins

2. Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets
At the young age of 23, Paul is just one year younger than my #1 on this list. He led the USA team to the gold medal in Beijing. Just like Boozer is to Williams, Tyson Chandler and Paul have a very close relationship that has led to tons of hookups between the two. Chris Paul is having an amazing year this year, but I just think Williams is the better all-around player.
2009 Stats: 21 PPG, 11 APG, 39 wins

3. Devin Harris, New Jersey Nets
Where would Dallas be if they still had this kid? Instead they traded this kid for a different, aging, and soon-to-be washed up Kidd. I will tell you where they’d be. The Finals. Whoever made that trade needs to be killed if you ask me. Too harsh? Well, Harris is on his way to establishing a high-powered offense in NEW JERSEY. Yi Jianlian, Brook Lopez, Carter, and Devin have created such a strong bond, the Nets actually have something to look forward to. He is only getting better.
2009 Stats: 22 PPG, 7 APG, 27 wins

4. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
Rondo is an amazing young talent and has improved every season he was in the NBA. The Celtics have almost turned into a big 4 because of him. Boston would be good without Rondo, but they are great because of this guy. He is leading the Celts in assists, he hustles for every rebound, and if he can’t get it he just goes up and steals the ball. He is a Jason Kidd type of guy. He may never be the player who drops 30+ every game, but he is and will be the player that turns in a 15 point, 10 assist, and 10 rebound game.
2009 Stats: 12 PPG, 9 APG, 49 wins

5. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
Is this guy underrated or what? He has been brilliant this season and is the reason why the Spurs are still contending with that aging lineup. If you look at his stats, top to bottom, they look almost identical to Harris’. He has flirted with some minor injuries so far this year, but has still been able to lead his team to a #2 seed in the West so far. They have a huge game against Phoenix tonight where Shaq and Parker’s buddy Tim Duncan will square off.

6. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns
Current hurt, but you cannot argue that he is a top 10 PG in this league.

7. Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks
Mr. Triple-Double is unfortunately on the decline, but still worthy of a 7 spot.

8. Chauncey Billups, Denver Nuggets
In front of his home-town crowd in Denver, Billups is trying to get them Nuggets into the postseason.

9. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
This guy is always going to be rising up this list until he reaches Paul and Williams. Really impressed me so far.

10. Baron Davis, Los Angeles Clippers
A new team, a new city, a new offense... He is contributing but do you expect them to actually win?

11. Mo Williams, Cleveland Cavaliers
I would love to put this guy higher on this list, but who do I move down?? He is the main reason why this year’s Cavs team is the best in the LeBron era.

12. Jose Calderon, Toronto Raptors
He is playing even better than his breakout year last season, and it is evident that he worked on shooting in the offseason.

13. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
This guy is on my fantasy team and I LOVE him. He is just solid. Westbrook, Durant, and Green will make OK City something one day… soon.

14. Mike Bibby, Atlanta Hawks
Another guy, like Nash and Kidd, on the decline. He is no longer in the shooting role. He is the one who distributes to ball to Johnson, Horford, etc.

15. Andre Miller, Philadelphia 76ers
He is yet another young gun PG that is rising up this list very quickly. Iggy, Dalembert, and he are what seems to be a bright spot in the city of brotherly love.


Chris Paul, Mo Williams, Chauncey Billups, and Andre Miller fans… please don’t hate me.

--

Justin Hulsey
FANdemoniumsports.blogspot.com

3 comments:

tim duncan said...

Rondo ahead of Nash and Parker!? I beg to differ

tim duncan said...

Rondo ahead of Nash and Parker!? I beg to differ

Justin said...

Well one comment is enough.

You beg to differ? Ok, don't beg. Go ahead and make your point, I would love to hear it.

When researching for all of this, I came across NUMEROUS lists that actually had Rondo in the top 3. Two or three had him at No. 1. I had him at 4, I really thought that was a safe pick. Meaning, I figured I would hear more whining with the Williams-Paul decision and others over this one.

Whether people realize it or not, Rondo is it. He is CONSTANTLY improving and will continue to grow with Harris, Paul, and Williams.

Again, like I said before, Rondo takes Boston from really good to really great. I believe that Rondo will take the Celtics to the Finals. If it was just Allen, Garnett, and Pierce.. I would say the MVP (LeBron) would be the one in the Championship game.

I said that Parker is underrated.. sure.. but I firmly believe that a up-and-coming Rajon Rondo's overall game and what he brings to the court is slapping a declining Nash and a mid-prime Parker around.

Let me ask you this.. If you are building a franchise right now, do you take? 35 yr old Nash, 27 yr old Parker, or 23 year old Rajon Rondo? You tell me, as an intelligent sports fan, who do you take to make your team better?

I'm taking Sir Rondo.